Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Why use books?
In today's online world, do books still have a part to play? Absolutely!
Books can provide you with reliable information you can count on and include in your works cited/reference page. They often provide:
- Background information
- In-depth coverage of topic
- Chapters that can break a topic down into smaller, more easily understood pieces
- Pointers to more information on the same topic
Find Books & Videos Using...
WorldCat is the world's largest network of library content and services. WorldCat allows you to search many libraries at once for an item and then locate it in a library nearby; post your review of an item, or contribute factual information about it; and find research articles and digital items (like audiobooks) that can be directly viewed or downloaded.
eBook Collection on EBSCOhost is a collection of electronic books. All eBook titles are also accessible from the library catalog.
ProQuest Ebook Central
Ebook Central, as part of the Proquest One Business Collection, includes authoritative ebooks in a range of subjects from the world's top publishers. Use Ebook Central to quickly and easily find relevant ebooks and chapters; read online; search within the ebook; and highlight, take notes and bookmark pages in your online copy, stored on your bookshelf for you. You can also share your research with others, download ebooks and chapters to your laptop or mobile device, and more.
Films On Demand: Technical & Trade
This collection of streamed video is designed to help all technical and trade education students in various subjects and areas such as agriculture, automotive technology, building & technical trades, cosmetology, engineering technology, information technology, technical careers, and technical communication.
HathiTrust Digital Library
Digital preservation repository that provides long-term preservation and access services for public domain and in copyright content from a variety of sources, including Google, the Internet Archive, Microsoft, and in-house partner institution initiatives.
The National Academies Press
The National Academies Press (NAP) was created by the National Academies to publish the reports issued by the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Medicine, and the National Research Council, all operating under a charter granted by the Congress of the United States. The NAP publishes more than 200 books a year on a wide range of topics in science, engineering, and health, capturing the most authoritative views on important issues in science and health policy. We offer more than 4,000 titles in PDF format. All of these PDFs can be downloaded for free by the chapter or the entire book.
Search book content for previews or free full-text. If you need more content, go to Buy this book / Get this book in print > Find in a Library to get it at Madigan Library.
The Library of Congress classification for civil engineering and surveying is TA. More specifically, TA is broken down as follows:
- TA1-2040 Engineering (General). Civil engineering. (General)
- TA164 Bioengineering
- TA165 Engineering instruments, meters, etc. Industrial instrumentation
- TA166-167 Human engineering
- TA168 Systems engineering
- TA170-171 Environmental engineering
- TA174 Engineering design
- TA177.4-185 Engineering economy
- TA190-194 Management of engineering works
- TA197-198 Engineering meteorology
- TA213-215 Engineering machinery, tools, and implements
- TA329-348 Engineering mathematics. Engineering analysis
- TA349-359 Mechanics of engineering. Applied mechanics
- TA365-367 Acoustics in engineering. Acoustical engineering
- TA401-492 Materials of engineering and construction. Mechanics of materials
- TA495 Disasters and engineering
- TA501-625 Surveying
- TA630-695 Structural engineering (General)
- TA703-712 Engineering geology. Rock mechanics. Soil mechanics. Underground construction
- TA715-787 Earthwork. Foundations
- TA800-820 Tunneling. Tunnels
- TA1001-1280 Transportation engineering
- TA1501-1820 Applied optics. Photonics
- TA2001-2040 Plasma engineering. Applied plasma dynamics
Browsing in any of these areas may lead to the discovery of valuable material in addition to the specific items listed in this guide.
- TC Hydraulic engineering
- TD Environmental technology. Sanitary engineering
- TE Highway engineering. Roads and pavements
- TF Railroad engineering and operation
- TG Bridge engineering
- TH Building construction (see the Building and Construction Call Number Guide for more detailed ranges)