Your assignment is to find information on health care issues and the 65+ age group.
Databases have controlled vocabularies and in order to find scholarly articles on your topic, you need to use the same vocabulary as the database. Look for a link to thesaurus, subject headings, etc.
Here are some keywords and phrases you could use:
- 65+: Use the thesaurus in each database to see what term(s) they assign to this age group. Some may have a preference between elderly, aged, aging, "older people", etc. Use AND to connect your search terms, depending on your topic:
- Cultures: Narrow to a specific culture (Native American, Chinese, Asian American, etc.); try "cultural diversity"
- Religion: Narrow to a specific religion (Muslim, Jewish, Islamic, etc.)
- Ethnic: Narrow to a specific ethnic group (Hispanic, Latino, etc.)
- Diseases: Narrow to a specific one (Alzheimer's, dementia, etc.)
- Family issues: Narrow to "sandwich generation", driving, "caretaker stress", "grandparents raising grandchildren", etc.
- Living arrangements: Narrow to different types ("nursing homes", "assisted living", etc.)
Example: elderly AND "Native Americans" AND "health care"
Reminder: Use quotes when searching phrases except in PubMed
Health Care vs. Healthcare
health care (noun): a set of actions by a person or persons to maintain or improve the health of a patient/consumer
- I have developed a plan for my patient’s health care.
- A heavier emphasis on preventive health care by patients and providers will improve health outcomes and quality of life.
- The RNs in this practice provide the majority of the health care for their patients.
- Special case: hyphenated adjectival form of “health care”
- Health-care services have become more expensive and more complex over the last 50 years.
- The health-care needs of the patients in this hospital wing are much higher than the needs of the average patient.
healthcare (noun or adjective): a system, industry, or field that facilitates the logistics and delivery of health care for patients/consumers
- I hope to work in healthcare one day.
- Healthcare’s number and diversity of players grew significantly over the course of the twentieth century.
- Modern healthcare requires both skilled clinicians and savvy, experienced business professionals to be effective and successful.
- The healthcare IT industry has been booming as a result of the strong demand for population analytics and effective electronic health record (EHR) systems.
- Healthcare reform has been a tough but important process to address many of the systematic failures of the healthcare system.
- Many former Wall Street professionals are moving into healthcare finance as a result of the industry’s massive growth.