Purpose of course-related research assignments
An effective research assignment...
- Has a specific, understood purpose
- Relates to some aspect of course subject matter or learning objectives
- Leads to increased understanding of a subject or the process of locating information related to a subject
- Promotes critical thinking
- Makes students aware of the variety of information sources and formats available (e.g., print, electronic, microform, video)
- Teaches students to select and evaluate quality information sources appropriate to their topics
- Reinforces habits of ethical scholarship
Adapted with permission: "Librarians at the University of Maryland were the authors & inspiration for the material."